Skip to main content

my solar power summer

I haven't written here in a while because I, Blair W. Martin, have been busy. During the twelve weeks that I've been away I have traveled for a journalism conference, started my first job, fallen out of friendship with somebody that I once held dear, started running again, consumed ice cream on a nightly basis, lost a loved one, and experienced a million of memorable moments in between.

I've always had a complex relationship with the summertime simply because the season lacks the buzziness that excites me during the other nine months of the year. Summer is slow, shimmery, deliberate. It's pacing gives people time to really sit with themselves and I think that I've always felt a bit warily about that. Time to sit means time to think and time to think means time to worry---and I have a history of always taking advantage of that time. 

In the past, summer has always gone a similar way: I'd get let out of school, excited about all of the time that lay ahead of me, only to feel pressured by the vastness of that time and fear that I wasn't doing enough with it. It was a cycle fueled by two of my closest friends---anxiety and insecurity---and one so exhausting that it tainted my perception of the season as a whole and led me to feel apprehensive about its annual arrival. 

But something shifted this year. 

On June 10th, 2021 Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O'Connor, professionally known as Lorde, released the title track off of her highly anticipated third studio album. I remember staying up until 11 o'clock the previous night for the song to arrive and immediately knowing after my first listen that it would be a piece of art that I would carry with me.  June 10th, 2021 was the first day of the summer I was sixteen, and in a way Solar Power's lyrics prophesied the weeks that followed. 

"I hate the winter, can't stand the cold // I tend to cancel all the plans (So sorry, I can't make it) But when the heat comes, something takes a hold // Can I kick it? Yeah, I can"

"Forget all of thе tears that you've cried It's ovеr (Over, over, over, over) //It's a new state of mindAre you coming, my baby?"

Over the past year or so I've developed a habit where I'd check my weather app religiously to see whether or not it was going to be sunny in the future and when talking to a friend about this I jokingly said that I do so so "I can decide what kind of mood I'm going to be in that day." and while I embellished the remark with cheeky emojis to emphasize the intended sarcasm there, I also knew that there was a bit of truth to my statement. 

The impact that the sun can have on the way that we feel has been well documented for years and years. Sunlight helps boost serotonin which inherently leads to people feeling like they're actually walking on the steamy star itself once it hits 75 degrees. I love the sun because I'm a superficial person at my core and just adore the aesthetic of a bright sunny day, and the feeling of the sun on my (sunscreen protected!!!) skin. Yet there's something about opening up the blinds in the middle of July and not seeing that golden globe beaming back at me that's feels relaxing during the thick of summertime, almost like a break. 

This summer Wisconsin was blessed with fabulous, warm weather. It only rained a handful of times and when it did it only added to the beauty of the sky by helping to supplement a stunning sunset later that day. However when the clock struck around six o'clock on these beautiful summer nights I consistently felt this urge to get out and start doing something with someone as somebody. The urge was unshakable and it wasn't simply formed by the weather. 

When widespread COVID-19 vaccine distribution began earlier this year the narrative surrounding the summer of 2021 was that it would be the one where we'd "be outside," and would serve as a proper start to the roaring 20s in a way that 2020's summer couldn't. This narrative was only amplified in my ears as a young person facing the everpresent external encouragement to go and live out my teenage dream. 

I always say that I'm happiest when busy. During the school year it's easy to get swept up into the cyclone of commitments that I've involved myself in. Cross Country practice here, orchestra rehearsal there, student council meeting around the corner, then tie it in a bow and call it a Tuesday. But when summer's hands creeped around and removed that ribbon this year I surprisingly didn't find myself grasping for straws (or thread? can the extended metaphor end here?) trying to replicate the way I feel during the school year. 


There were certainly nights where I'd look out my window around sunset and feel that self-imposed pressure to go out and have the best time ever only to go and have a time that was just a-okay. Consequently some of the grandest nights of the summer were the ones that I didn't plan for. Nights where I (literally) let other people take the wheel and steer me away from my expectations and towards something much better. Those ones were prompted by true spontaneity---not changes in the weather, and were just as powerful. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lifelong Affair with Corinne Bailey Rae

Corinne Bailey Rae has existed in my universe for as long as I can remember. My parents were music snobs back in the day and only allowed me and my sisters to listen to what they listened to in a  (successful) attempt to make sure that we all picked up their taste. Growing up I heard a lot of Prince, a lot of Sade, a lot of Billie Holiday, and a lot of Stevie Wonder. And while all of those artists have a special place in my heart none of them have stuck with me the way that Corinne Bailey Rae has.  Corinne Bailey Rae's self-titled debut album came out in 2006 when I was 2 years old. My family was still a family of four, we hadn't moved to the suburbs yet, and my father still had all of his hair. Things were different. I don't what hearing CBR's music for the first time felt like (re: two years old) but I do know that I heard it all of the time. It played during road trips down to Mississippi, while my mom cooked dinner, while me and my older sister slept. That a

If I ever got a tattoo...

I'd probably faint and/or cry the second they used those little cleaning wipes to prepare me for the needle. Then, after being nursed back to health with a juice box and slightly sedated with something serious but sensible (try saying those last seven words five times fast...), I'd hop back on my chair and finalize my design. The idea of getting a tattoo freaks me out because tattoos are forever and  the thought of anything that I do being final is genuinely terrifying, So I wouldn't even bother trying to come up with a design of something special or even relatively important. No, I'd get something silly enough for it not to be taken too seriously but respectable enough for it to not make me look like a total idiot. A bee...a semi circle...a fried egg...the letter w...a qr code that sends you to the YouTube video of Beyoncé's 2009 Grammy performance...a rubber ducky. Nothing is really off limits as long is it fits the aforementioned requirements. I'd want the ta

Tune Tour

The other day I was messing around Pinterest (as you do) and felt a massive urge to renovate my life in some sort of long lasting but not super tangible way (as you do) so I decided to redo my  spotify playlist covers. I'm very particular about my playlists. I've the same 9 for 3 years and they're all poorly titled and horribly curated. I love them dearly. But I knew that it was time for a change so I dedicated my Sunday afternoon (+ night) to vamping them up. Here are the results!  me, listening to my new playlists