Skip to main content

If I had a New York Minute



I understand that these days New York City isn't the best place to be. With Covid-19 still running through the streets and travel being highly discouraged there's no way that I'm making my merry way to The Big Apple anytime soon. But a girl can dream, and I intend to.

11am
Okay so my plan is to arrive in Manhattan at 11 o'clock in the morning---by train. Disclaimer: I do not know if there is a train that goes from Mil*aukee to New York. Like I'm 99% sure that there isn't one, but this is my dream! So I'm taking it. Once I stand in the station for 3-5 minutes, taking the bustle of the city in in all of its glory, I'll power walk out of the door and start my day.

12pm 
Once I leave the station I'll head east towards Nolita to eat at the Freemans restaurant for brunch. I have chosen Nolita not because of anything I know about New York City geographically---because I know nothing about New York City geographically, but rather because I like the way that the neighborhood sounds. Like phonetically. No-li-ta. It's so much fun. I chose the Freemans restaurant because it's pretty and it has a lovely blue door that I'm obsessed with. I get the fried-chicken & waffle with all of my friends. I have somehow shipped (yes, shipped) all of my them to New York City for this meal. Not for my whole trip, just for this meal.

2pm 

After bruch I will make it my mission to walk off all of the food that I've just consumed on my way to my hotel in Chelsea. Freemans restaurant is approximately 32.26 miles away from The High Line Hotel and I'm guessing at some point during that 8 hour journey I'll make the executive decision to hail a taxi and enjoy the rest of it from the backseat of a cab. I've decided on the High Line Hotel because it looks like a moody dorm from some wild and mildly-sexual young adult trilogy. I hate hotel rooms that feel
like hotel rooms. The kind where you walk in the door and can immediately tell that somebody was just in there spraying febreze and praying that you don't spot the stain in the carpet. The High Line has a chandelier and a typewriter, what more could a girl want?!? Once I arrive in my room I will immediately order room service because my walk from Freemans will have left me famished. After that I'll collapse onto my bed and take a nap until...BEEP BEEP BEEP! Crap, my alarm is telling me that it's time to go go go. So I quickly throw on the dress that I'd chosen for this exact moment two weeks ago, grab my purse, and head out the door. 

8pm 
This is my third official New York City Power-Walk  and I'm headed one way, the only way, to Broadway. Okay confession: back during my freak days (read: middle school) there were these two kids in my choir that were OBSESSED with Hamilton and I'd always make fun of them (in private, with my friends because I'm respectful ) because I genuinely did not understand how a musical about the founding fathers could be so good. But then eight days ago I watched Hamilton on Disney+ for the first time (of MANY) and I now know that it is so good. I mean I hate to hop on the bandwagon (that's a lie, I've been a follower my entire life. I LOVE bandwagons) but it really is something special! So naturally, with this being my dream and all, I have decided to see the o.g Hamilton cast perform because I love them all dearly and am so desperate to soak up all of their talent. I'll make my way to my seat that I've chosen so that I'll be close enough to stage so that I can see, but still be safe from Jonathan Groff's fire hydrant of a mouth. It will be glorious, it will be epic, and when I hear the Schuyler sisters sing "HISTory is HAPpening in manHATTan AND we just HAPPen to be in the GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD!!!" I will burst into tears, probably. 

11pm
After the show I'll find myself exhilarated, inspired, and in search for adventure so I'll take the Q train all the way to Coney Island. Once I'm there, relishing in the smell of the ocean and probably piss, I will head straight towards Luna Park in search for some stuffed companions. I'll play games for an hour and secure three plush pals (named Paula, Peter, and Petunia) and make my way towards the Wonder Wheel. After waiting in line and getting better acquainted with my new friends I will finally be able to depart on my journey. While riding the wheel with my mates I'll think about my time in New York
City. 
My brunch at Freemans, the two hours I walked trying to get to my hotel, the tears that I shed at hamilton, and now the Wonder Wheel. I will suddenly feel overcome with emotion and feel the desire no, the need to play Barbra Streisand's classic song New York State Of Mind off my phone. I'll start singing, the person below me will start singing, and soon the whole wheel will be crooning out the song. It'll be a rendition accompanied only by the smooth notes of the man who's operating the Wonder Wheel's saxophone and it will be beautiful. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lifelong Affair with Corinne Bailey Rae

Corinne Bailey Rae has existed in my universe for as long as I can remember. My parents were music snobs back in the day and only allowed me and my sisters to listen to what they listened to in a  (successful) attempt to make sure that we all picked up their taste. Growing up I heard a lot of Prince, a lot of Sade, a lot of Billie Holiday, and a lot of Stevie Wonder. And while all of those artists have a special place in my heart none of them have stuck with me the way that Corinne Bailey Rae has.  Corinne Bailey Rae's self-titled debut album came out in 2006 when I was 2 years old. My family was still a family of four, we hadn't moved to the suburbs yet, and my father still had all of his hair. Things were different. I don't what hearing CBR's music for the first time felt like (re: two years old) but I do know that I heard it all of the time. It played during road trips down to Mississippi, while my mom cooked dinner, while me and my older sister slept. That a

If I ever got a tattoo...

I'd probably faint and/or cry the second they used those little cleaning wipes to prepare me for the needle. Then, after being nursed back to health with a juice box and slightly sedated with something serious but sensible (try saying those last seven words five times fast...), I'd hop back on my chair and finalize my design. The idea of getting a tattoo freaks me out because tattoos are forever and  the thought of anything that I do being final is genuinely terrifying, So I wouldn't even bother trying to come up with a design of something special or even relatively important. No, I'd get something silly enough for it not to be taken too seriously but respectable enough for it to not make me look like a total idiot. A bee...a semi circle...a fried egg...the letter w...a qr code that sends you to the YouTube video of BeyoncĂ©'s 2009 Grammy performance...a rubber ducky. Nothing is really off limits as long is it fits the aforementioned requirements. I'd want the ta

Tune Tour

The other day I was messing around Pinterest (as you do) and felt a massive urge to renovate my life in some sort of long lasting but not super tangible way (as you do) so I decided to redo my  spotify playlist covers. I'm very particular about my playlists. I've the same 9 for 3 years and they're all poorly titled and horribly curated. I love them dearly. But I knew that it was time for a change so I dedicated my Sunday afternoon (+ night) to vamping them up. Here are the results!  me, listening to my new playlists